Everybody knows that summer is freaking hot! Luckily, there’s halo-halo, which is a good remedy for the burning heat of the sun. For those who don’t know what’s a halo-halo, it is a popular Filipino dessert made of shaved ice, evaporated milk and some sweet ingredients (could consist of fruits, beans, ice cream and etc.). Halo-halo literally means mix-mix because you have to mix all of its ingredients before eating it. But you don’t really have to mix it if you’re like me who prefers to eat the shaved ice first.
With that said, here’s WhatsUp.ph’s Top 5 Halo Halo in Metro Manila:
5. Via Mare – Via Mare’s Shooters (Php 98.00) is composed of guinomis, mais con hielo and halo-halo – all in teaser size. But I call them halo-halo’s in different flavors. If you easily gets bored on food, then this should be the halo-halo for you. But if you prefer to have the original halo-halo only, Via Mare also offers their halo-halo in normal size without the guinomis and mais con hielo.
4. Kabigting – Unlike other halo-halos, Kabigting’s halo-halo (Php 90.00) is composed of mashed beans, pastillas and corn. Yes, there’s pastillas on it! This makes the halo-halo really sweet combined with the interesting taste brought by corn.
3. Razon’s – Razon’s halo-halo (Php 105.00) has been tested through times. It comes with plenty of milk and other traditional ingredients of a halo-halo.
2. Icebergs – What makes Iceberg’s halo-halo (Php 128.00) special is it comes with tons of toppings. The halo-halo displayed below is their Super Halo Halo. They also have other variants for their halo-halo.
1. Suka At Sili – I love shaved ice and Suka At Sili’s halo-halo (Php 60.00) has one of the finest shaved ice I’ve eaten. And you wouldn’t believe it, but even though their restaurant is not that famous, their halo-halo is somewhat similar to Razon’s, only cheaper and with a finer ice.
UPDATE as of June 27, 2017: Suka at Sili is already closed.
And that’s it! What’s your favorite halo-halo?
(Disclaimer: This article represents the personal views / opinions of the author only. Some information stated may be inaccurate or outdated. WhatsUp.ph and the author disclaims all responsibility arousing from any incorrect information, if there’s any.)